Regina Rica (Tanay, Rizal)


There are places I remember… And one of which is “Sampaloc, Tanay, Rizal, Philippines”. I remember my great grandmother’s farm where we used to pick all kinds of fruits. The best “Indian mangoes” can be found there. I recall that we also used to swim in the river nearby and enjoy its cool and clear waters. As we played and enjoy the waters of the river, I was able to observe and appreciate several species of flora and fauna. It was one of the most memorable times of my youth.

The weather in this place is cool enough to be compared to Baguio. I remember that one of my cousins described the place as “little Baguio” - but without the pine trees and the very long travel time.  The place can be reached not more than two hours from EDSA depending on the traffic.  The scenic views as one traverse the road to Tanay is similar to that of the summer capital.


As if time is something that blows with the wind, I never realized that decades have already passed before I am able to set foot again on this place. I knew that my great grandmother’s farm has already been sold years ago after she joined our Creator, thus I may have felt that there are no reasons why I should visit the place except probably to see some of my relatives who are still in Sampaloc. But my planned visits never happened. I had been busy with my studies and in trying to earn a living.  All that happened thru the years was some of those relatives would visit our place in Pasay and during those occasions, I would get briefed and updated with the latest family news and concerns. The briefing and discussions among relatives, however, is remiss on how this place has developed through the years.

I remember Camp Capinpin inside Sampaloc. That camp where my father trained before being enlisted in the Philippine armed forces.  I heard that the training there, like all military camps, is harsh and tough and only the fittest among the trainees' graduate. It is not easy to become a soldier and to live like one.  The pay is low and the risk is life itself. A foot is said to be buried each time a soldier goes on duty to defend the country. Soldiers are also away from their families for months, if not years when they are assigned to far-flung places like Mindanao and the disputed Spratlys.  I am really happy that my father survived to savor his retirement after serving for more than twenty-five years in the armed forces.

What I recall most in this camp is its church where we used to hear mass. As youngsters, we can go inside this camp practically unnoticed. The soldiers manning the gates, at that time, do not mind us toddlers going inside the camp to stroll and play. Our destination is the church and its courtyard where we would let time pass as if the whole world is ours.

But, it was years ago…  When I again visited this place, I hardly recognize it. I got lost and I had to ask for directions. The big tree that used to greet us at the corner of Sampaloc has disappeared. Several establishments have sprouted in the area showing that the plague of urbanization is slowly creeping into this once quiet and sleepy place. I would not be surprised that a few years from now, those gigantic malls that appeared like mushrooms in Metro Manila would soon devour the greeneries and be replaced with parking lots. I just hope that what has happened in Baguio - where century-old pine trees have to give way to that mall - would not happen here. Let’s protect the trees that protect us! 

As my eyes gazed upon the mountains, I realized that there is something missing. My recollection: mountains so green and lush with trees and various forms of vegetation where my tired eyes are immediately rested each time I look at the view. Now, the greenery seems to be in a survival mode. The mining operation on top of a mountain is very visible from Sampaloc and all over Tanay. The slow but methodical destruction of the mountain to retrieve its minerals created those ugly brown patches. I can’t help asking, what is more important to us – the cement that is easily consumed or those beautiful mountains that God can only create? The debate on this issue is endless and exasperating!

I have been reminiscing until I found myself in Regina Rica – a place for contemplation similar, in my opinion, to the “Prayer Mountain” in Antipolo. With life’s so many challenges, obstacles and stress, places such as these are a refuge for those who are tired and weary. There are really times in our life that we need to close ourselves from the world and talk only to our self. There are times that we need to just shut our eyes and listen to that sound of silence and just pray! It is like being inside a cocoon for a while and come out beautiful.

As I walk the beautiful grounds of Regina Rica, I felt like I am in "Calaruega" in Tagaytay but in a more enigmatic setting. The view of the mountains and its fresh cool air evoke a feeling of peace and tranquility. Its gardens and flowers create a panorama of calmness. Indeed, Regina Rica is a place for contemplation.

I have not noticed any form of trash at all. This is a much welcome relief from the garbage - ridden parks in Metro Manila. Regina Rica’s landscape is clean and well maintained. Visitors should always respect the sanctity of the place and refrain from throwing any form of garbage in its sacred grounds!

As I approach the huge statue of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, it reminded me of the “Kamay ni Hesus” in Quezon. The feeling of seeing and being near these statues is indescribable.  It is like being with God literally - who is definitely much bigger, higher and greater than all of us.  This huge statue of Mother Mary can accommodate several people inside. The view from the statue is spectacular! The mountains of Rizal provide a very romantic and relaxing backdrop.

I really did not get the chance to dine at Regina Rica’s “Pasilungan” but I saw the sign saying that only “vegetarian dishes” are served there. At any rate, if I were given the opportunity to visit this place again, I would definitely try the food they are serving though I am not really into vegetarian dishes. There is also a “countdown” as to when the church inside Regina Rica would be completed. The faithful would definitely flock this place once this structure is finished. My appeal to all those who would visit  - please keep Regina Rica free from all forms of garbage!

As the sun was about to set, I have to leave Regina Rica. But, I really wished I had more time to continue contemplating life, faith... and chess.





Comments

Popular Posts