The Thrill of Solo Mountain Biking



I found myself amidst the canopy of trees. I was alone. But I was never lonely. In solitude, I discover the thrill of solo mountain biking - the challenge of traveling alone; the quiver of getting lost, the ecstasy of finding the right way, and the euphoria of savoring the destination – all adds to the thrill.

The thrill of solo mountain biking: the challenge of traveling alone; the quiver of getting lost and ecstasy of finding the right way; the discovery of what lies ahead; and the euphoria of savoring the destination.

I have no choice. I am practically constrained to bike solo. I know this situation is temporary - I hope - though I don’t long to join a group. Not yet at the moment…

I feel blessed living in Quezon City where the La Mesa Eco Park and its Nature Reserve is just a bike ride for a few minutes.  Often, there are no other bikers nor runners in sight.  It is at this moment that I have that rare privilege of thinking that I own the whole park.

Being alone gives me the opportunity to think and be thankful for what I have in life.  Amidst the trees and the vastness of nature, I feel blessed that, with my own effort, I am able to reach a destination. The trail may have been difficult but I reap the rewards upon reaching the end of my journey.

With solo mountain biking, I am reminded that I only have myself to depend on. I have to move with my own power. I have to pedal with only my strength. If I get lost, I have no one to blame but myself.

I know there are several trails still waiting to be conquered and discovered.  With very limited time, I can bike only one trail in a day or in a given week. One trail at a time – that’s all I can do for now. Sooner or later, however, I intend to find and conquer more trails. And I intend to do it solo and alone!










Comments

Popular Posts