Better Move: Create Bicycle Lanes


I was on my way to Quezon City Hall. While walking at the underground walkway, I passed upon a huge poster made of tarpaulin material part of which is definitely good news to a lot of cyclists or those who are planning to shift to a "bike to work scheme". Quezon City is seriously contemplating the creation of (more) bicycle lanes! The very huge number of vehicles in Quezon City and in other cities in Metro Manila causes unbearable traffic gridlocks. It makes commuting by car very impractical! Whenever highways and roads are transformed into gigantic parking lots, I often regret why I did not just simply rode a bicycle to my destination. Riding a bike is healthier, cheaper and simpler. I do not need to worry about getting a parking space!


The main reason why most people are reluctant to get on a bike to work even in perfect weather condition is the lack of bicycle lanes. In cases where there are bike lanes, they are not "inter-connected" or frustratingly ends when needed the most. Bike lanes are sometimes occupied by vehicles and commuters and in worse cases inhabited by informal settlers. (Yes, inhabited literally. Just get out and bike and you will definitely confirm this as a fact.) These realities discourages biking as a mode of getting from point A to B. The absence of bike lanes miserably increases the risks of riding a bicycle in major thoroughfares in Metro Manila.

The great news however is that there are efforts by the authorities to build these much needed yet long delayed bicycle lanes. I know that there had been talks, discussions and planning on what is the best move in order that these bike lanes can be built in a manner that is most advantageous to the cyclist but with the least inconvenience to the general public. I am aware that there are existing bicycle lanes in some cities in Metro Manila such as in Marikina, Pasig and Quezon City. Just like anyone who wants to use these bike lanes, I really appreciate what has been done. I wish however that these bicycle lanes are "interconnected" and rules and regulations on their use is strictly implemented.

A "bike to work strategy" often takes me to my destination a lot faster. I am able to exercise at the same time! I do not need to worry about parking! It also feels great to have that thought of not contributing to pollution. A bicycle is much simpler to maintain and I don't need to shell out anything for registration and insurance fees. No need for gasoline! If there is very heavy traffic on one side of the road, I can just carry my bike and walk on the other side. Of course, there are some inconvenience and risks on riding a bicycle to work. But, after trying the idea (bike to work) the advantages far outweighs the inconvenience and perceived dangers. I try to be very careful on the road and more aware of my surroundings. I always pray for safety!

Indeed, it is a better move to create bicycle lanes to encourage biking as an alternative mode of transportation. We all know that there had been several schemes that were experimented on to solve the notorious traffic problem in Metro Manila. After years of trying those schemes, the only conclusion that was derived from such experiments is that it did not work. Other alternative modes have to be found. Perhaps, it is time that we look at the simple bicycle as a solution to the traffic mess!

The moment that "inter-connected" bicycle lanes are created, I am sure that more people will be encouraged to shift to a healthier and less expensive way of getting to work. One less car on the road is always a car less on the road - a big small step towards decreasing the volume of vehicles! Again, just imagine if half of the cars on the road were bicycles, there would be a huge space for other vehicles to maneuver. It is very lamentable to see our major roads (EDSA and Commonwealth Avenue) transformed into one huge parking lot.









Comments

Popular Posts