Bicycle Maintenance and Upgrades


What is great about bicycles is the fact that they require very few maintenances compared to motorized vehicles. After the purchase, you can just hang or place your bike on the stand and leave it. Bicycles do not need scheduled and expensive maintenance checks, oil change and adjustments unlike in cars or motorcycles.


I recently went to JBL Bikeshop in Quezon City for possible upgrades and repairs that would complement my mountain bike with a "Mosso Frame". I consider this bike as my "first real mountain bike". I had several bikes before but this one has been my companion for several years already. I am very satisfied with this bike and after years of use, I felt that it deserves to be treated with some kind of maintenance and upgrade. I do not want to spend much on the upgrade since I do not have anything major to complain about this bike. While its frame is riddled with scratches that mark the number of times it had been used accordingly or otherwise, the bike is still in good condition. However, as recommended by the mechanic at the said bike shop, bicycles should be cleaned and maintained or preferably overhauled every four or six months depending on the use.

While bicycles require very few maintenances, it is still necessary that its parts and other components are regularly cleaned and kept in tip-top shape. There are components and parts that should and should not be oiled or greased. It is always a better move to check each and every part of your bike regularly for adjustments or repairs. I was very satisfied with how this bike shop handled my inquiries. Their mechanic is very skillful. Thus, I am thinking of bringing my other bikes here for repairs or upgrades in the future. At this time, I am considering upgrading my folding bike particularly its "Groupset" into a Shimano Claris as I feel it is compatible with the design of the Dahon D7 Curve.

Whenever I am stuck on traffic, I always imagine that very ideal situation where at least half of the cars on the road were bikes. I just cannot get this off my mind. The traffic situation in Metro Manila is getting worse every day. It eases only for a moment during holidays but on most days and on almost every time of the day the traffic is unbearable. I think that encouraging the use of bicycles is one of the more realistic, practical and effective solutions to this problem. Bicycles are environment-friendly and very affordable compared to motorized vehicles.

Just like most bikers, I dream of the day that there would be "integrated" bicycle lanes in Metro Manila. Most of the people I knew are reluctant of biking to work because of the lack of bicycle lanes. It is indeed a correct perception that without bike lanes, the risk of getting hurt on the streets while on a bike is higher. Despite the risk, I can still see a lot of people trying to get to work on a bike as an alternative to the usual motorized transport. This shows that there is still hope for this country.
Biking is a great way to go to work. Its benefits cannot be underrated. It is time that we look at the potential of a "bike to work kind of a lifestyle" to solve the notorious traffic problem in Metro Manila.



Comments

Popular Posts