Gran Fondo 50 (Subic)


The moment I made it to the finish line and got to wear a "finisher's medal" at the Grand Fondo 50 in Subic, I know I made some kind of personal achievement. This 50-kilometer grueling bike ride started at the Subic Bay Exhibition and Convention Center. We passed through the roads of Bataan Province before making a U-turn at the city hall in Dinalupihan then back to the Convention Center.


Ride out was at 8:00 in the morning, an hour behind the Grand Fondo 100 participants. Celebrities added color to the event but its the bicycles and the bikers who took the center stage. I saw a lot of high-end bikes. My weapon of choice was the "Giant FastRoad SLR 1 (2018)" - a flat bar road bike adorned with Shimano Tiagra. I chose this bike given its lightweight "ALUXX SLR-grade aluminum" frame and it's stable "Giant Connect Flat" handlebar. With this road bike, I was able to navigate and survive the climbs and descents that accompanied the ride. It is the "full control type of feeling" in using a flat bar road bike that gave me confidence while I was descending. The lightness of the Giant FastRoad made it much easier to pedal on flat terrain.

I am happy joining this event and I intend to join in similar events in the future. What is great about this kind of a bike ride is the fact that is actually non-competitive. It means that you get to ride based on your own level of fitness. The main goal is really to have fun and enjoy. During the ride, I did not compete with other bikers. Instead, I was actually competing with myself! I tried to ride as fast as I could with the goal of finishing the race in the shortest time possible since I still need to go back to Manila on that very same day.

It was fun but tough at the same time. The ride provided just enough challenge without ruining the fun part. It was a well-attended event and duly organized. I observed that it was well coordinated with police and traffic marshals supported by security and medics making the ride not only enjoyable but safe. I think choosing Subic and Bataan as a venue is a good move for the organizers. The roads were nicely paved with very few potholes and the traffic in the area was generally smooth and predictable. I only encountered some kind of Metro Manila traffic mess in Olongapo but in Subic and Bataan traffic was just right. We were also blessed with good weather. The sun was shining brightly yet the cool air somehow sobered the heat.

Sometimes you just got to go and do it! I was reluctant in joining this event though it is not my first group ride.  I consider this event however as another way of formally introducing myself to biking. I also want to help in promoting the use of bicycles as a way of getting into a healthy lifestyle while preserving the environment. I sincerely believe that the use of bicycles can effectively help in solving the traffic mess in Metro Manila. It would also lessen our dependence on imported gasoline and is a great way to fight climate change.






Comments

Popular Posts