Juan Luna's Last Work of Art


I like paintings. I admire the talents of painters. Their creativity preserved on a canvass is both an inspiration and a source of awe. A painting captures a fleeting moment in our life into something permanent for generations to see. A painting, therefore, is not only an art but a way of preserving our historical past.

The "Bahay Nakpil" in Quiapo, Manila used to house Juan Luna's Parisian Life. Now, we are very lucky that through the efforts of concerned individuals and the Philippine Government, the Parisian Life is on display at the National Museum.




I walked endlessly inside the National Museum to see Luna's Parisian Life. I have just been amazed by his most famous work - the Spoliarium - located on the ground floor of the building. 

As I continued to walk within the gallery with the collection of Luna's paintings, I chanced upon his last work. It is not as grand as the Spoliarium nor as controversial as the Parisian Life but equally important - and this is his very last work.

Juan Luna's last piece is a simple rendition of the Philippine flag. I looked at his work thankful that the National Museum was able to preserve this "simple" and delicate drawing by Luna.

Comments

Popular Posts