Chess: The “Oh, My God Trap”

This trap is something I will always remember. I was young and beginning to learn chess when a neighbor played this trap. Actually, it was not against me but with someone older than I am. I used to watch older players play chess and that's how I learned the game.


After 3.___Nd4?

In what is known as the "Oh, My God Trap", it seems that Black blundered with 3.___Nd4? It is at this instance that the player with the Black pieces made some comments as if he wants to take back the move. And since the rule of the game of chess is "touch move",  and with a little added drama from the player with the Black pieces, White took the pawn with 4. Nxe5 not knowing that it was a trap. White in this game, ended getting checkmated!

Chess is a game full of traps and surprises. Even in the opening stage of the game, there are traps that every player should know. Any trap however has a refutation. In this trap, if White took the Knight instead of the pawn on e5, Black would be at a great disadvantage. 

Comments

Popular Posts