Whale Shark Watching (Oslob, Cebu)


How to Get to Oslob, Cebu (Whale Shark Watching)

From Cebu City, go to South Park Bus Terminal Near Elizabeth Mall. Take a Ceres Bus bound for Oslob. Fare to Oslob is less than P 200.00. Travel is around 3 to 4 hours depending on the traffic.

Places to Stay:

Ermi Beach Resort -09228195095 (Around 20 minutes to the Whale Shark Watching Area); BCD’s Place -09228736128 (Whale Shark Watching Area)


Years ago, when I travel to Cebu, Oslob is not part of my itinerary. But with the reported presence of these huge creatures, I included the municipality in my travel schedule.

I recall that photo of a girl riding a Whale Shark in Oslob. The photo became viral and controversial with so many commenting on the effects of this kind of encounters with such marine animals. Many believe that this type of human activity will harm these creatures. I decided to include Oslob in my travel itinerary to see what is actually happening in the area.

It was almost a four hours bus ride from the South Park Terminal in Cebu City to Oslob.  We left Cebu City at around 6 in the evening and we reached Ermi Beach resort at almost 10 pm.  The ride in the air-conditioned Ceres Bus was fairly convenient. The bus has two sets of TV monitors. It was not overcrowded and the bus was relatively new. Our fare is less than 200 pesos.

At the South Park terminal, Ceres Buses are frequent and while there is a long queue of passengers there is no long wait. We were able to take our seat after just a few minutes of waiting.

We have experienced traffic in some urban areas but after a while, the ride went smooth. I have not been able to appreciate the view outside the bus as it was nighttime. There are zigzag roads and we cannot help getting dizzy. We repeatedly reminded the conductor to drop us at Ermi Beach Resort, which according to the girl I have asked for a reservation, is within the boundary of Oslob and Boljoong.

After almost four hours of travel, we reached Ermi Beach Resort where I have booked a two nights stay for P 1,500.00 a night. Prior to our travel, I have already confirmed a reservation to ensure that we have a place to stay when we reach the area. I was assured by the girl, who answered the phone when I called, is that Ermi Beach Resort is just around twenty minutes away from the Whale Shark watching area.

The girl I talked at the resort was already waiting for us at the gate when the bus arrived.  I really appreciated this for after four hours of travel it feels good that there is someone to welcome us at the end of our trip.  Ermi Beach Resort is simple, has a pool, a very delicious mango shake and has a very relaxing view of the sea.

We had a good night sleep in its room designed with Nipa ceiling and decorated with pieces of bamboo furniture. It is air-conditioned, with hot and cold shower, complimentary amenities, and towels. I think the room is comfortable enough. As this is an off-peak season, we did not see other guests in the resort. We practically had the resort all for ourselves for two days.

We woke up at around 5 am to prepare for our trip to the Whale Shark watching site. While waiting for the bus headed to Barangay Tanaw-an, an Ermi's resort employee handed us a piece of paper where the name of the contact person is written [Pol, 0922-4597395, Yellow Group].  We were very excited to see the Whale Sharks. After an agonizing wait of almost thirty minutes, a Ceres bus headed to our destination appeared on the road. We were afraid to miss the opportunity to see the Whale Sharks as according to our information, “morning” is the best time to see these fabulous creatures.

True enough and without the traffic, we were able to reach the Whale Shark watching site in less than 20 minutes. It is actually the “BCD’s Place”. If I have known this resort before, we have stayed here as it is actually situated in the Whale Shark watching area.  Looking at the place, however, seems that there are very limited rooms for visitors.

After paying the registration fee and a packed lunch, we were led to a briefing area.  The lady conducting the briefing said that Whale Sharks are very gentle creatures and are harmless to people. She emphasized that swimmers should avoid touching the Whale Sharks as they are very sensitive creatures. Marine police and biologists are present in the site to ensure the protection of these animals.  The “Whale Shark encounter” is to last for not more than thirty minutes and the time shall begin after they appeared.

We rode a small boat paddled by a guide or fisherman and within a few minutes, we reached the Whale Shark watching site. I thought the area is far away from the shore but actually, boats ferrying tourists can be seen from BCD’s resort.

I was awed in seeing for the first time a Whale Shark.  It was indeed a very huge sea creature. Seeing such a fish with a monstrous size is really breathtaking and overwhelming.  I really felt a feeling that I am nothing but a small creation in this world.  The Whale Shark was so big and seeing it underwater is totally a once in a lifetime experience.

I took my time observing the Whale Sharks. I have seen at least three Whale Sharks all at the same time. I was really fascinated not only by their size but by the way they interacted with the fishermen. They are really very gentle creatures. It was only at that time I have seen such a huge fish, not in captivity. What is more fascinating is that despite its size this fish is believed not to harm anyone.

I really wished we had an underwater camera at that time.  As I dived underwater, I can clearly see the Whale Shark’s enormous size. I cannot describe my amazement in seeing such a large fish in their natural habitat. If ever I get the chance to visit this place again, I would never forget a waterproof camera and to take photos of the Whale Shark while it is underwater.

There were a lot of tourists in Oslob waiting to get a glimpse of this magnificent creature. The presence of the Whale Sharks has brought income to this once sleepy and simple town in Cebu.  I have not heard of Oslob until after the reported appearance of the Whale Sharks. It is no denying that it is these creatures that have placed this town on the map.

I can recall that the Whale Shark phenomenon started in Donsol, Sorsogon.  And then a report came out that Whale Sharks are also common in Oslob, Cebu.  News spread fast and soon tourists came by droves to Oslob.

The Whale Sharks in Oslob are controversial as fishermen feed them for the delight of tourists. During the brief orientation, it is said that there are marine police or biologists in the area to ensure the well being of the animals. She said that they are doing everything to protect the Whale Sharks. However, the long-term effects of feeding the Whale Sharks have yet to be known.

While I was awed by the huge and monstrous size of this fish, I cannot stop thinking of whether feeding them has no adverse effect. I hope the issue on the propriety of feeding the Whale Sharks is resolved soon by an objective and scientific study. I think however that it is much better if the “Whale Shark watching” is done without feeding the animals. I do not like to see this huge creature acting like domesticated pets while they are being fed with small crustaceans or shrimps. There should also a limit on the number of tourists to prevent the encounter from turning into a Circus event.

My experience in Oslob is one of a kind. There are very limited places where Whale Sharks can be seen. Moreover, with the current state of our oceans, these creatures are becoming rare and there may even come a time that Whale Sharks will no longer visit our shores due to trash and neglect for the well being of this magnificent creatures. I hope that years from now Whale Sharks will continue to visit Oslob.




Comments

Wow! This is great. Nice blog on Oslob’s amazing beauty. Thanks for this.

Popular Posts