Life is Like a Game of Chess


“Life is like a chess game. If you play the right move, at the right time you’ll win the game.”  - Sruti

Time is something that we cannot buy. Time once gone is forever lost. Every second that passes out of our life can never be brought back. 

Of course, we all knew this. We all recognize the value of time. But, in this world, where everything seems to move fast, we often feel that there seems to be something that pushes the clock to move faster than usual. There seems to be that invisible force that somehow moves the clock to a faster rate the year before - and the year before that.  There are just too many things to do. There are so many things and ideas you just would like to get out there in this world. But there is very little time. Sometimes, it feels that you need 10,000 hours or more.

The best thing to do is to do things one day at a time. Just like in the game of chess, to win a game is just a matter of one good move at a time. One good move after the other is the way to move forward. There is no such thing as an instant win unless your opponent makes a horrible blunder. One good move in every situation is what it takes to achieve victory.

Chess is a game that is often compared to life itself. Life is seen as a struggle on the chessboard reduced into a miniature. The game of chess reduces the complexity of life into a simple game. The struggle to win or get out of a very difficult situation is a common theme, both in chess and in real life.

When I was in my home country, I thought about whether I would leave a stable job to study in Canada as an international student. Making a decision on this matter is life-changing. This is not a simple matter that can be decided without taking things one day at a time. All circumstances have to be considered. Everything that may affect my decision has to be taken into account. 

One move at a time, I arrived in Canada in August 2022. It has been more than a year since I arrived in this very beautiful country. I miss a lot of things in my home country. I often think about all I left behind to pursue my decision to study and be an international student in Canada. I often remember my dogs who were always there with me. I remember my bicycles. I remember the different places I went to while riding on my bike. I often wonder if everything was worth it. 

Whenever I take a walk in a park, I often take time to think how it may have been different if I never left my home country. It is not easy to leave your comfort zone and live in another country feeling like you went “back to zero”. The challenge to fit it in and adjust is enormous. Sometimes, it even feels insurmountable. However, it is said that there is “no growth within your comfort zone”. Thus, I eventually took the challenge. 

During those times when everything is lost, you can learn from the game of chess. Chess can provide that companion when you feel alone. With the internet, there is now a new way to play chess. There are no more boundaries in playing chess. You can play chess with anyone in the world at any time. The internet has provided the means to play chess at will. With a gadget, chess can be played wherever and whenever you want. A physical chessboard is no longer a necessity in playing chess. 

But whether you play chess with a physical board or by using a gadget, the rules of the game have not changed. To win, you have to play the right move at the right time. The key to winning in chess is by playing the right move depending on the situation. The chess pieces have to be coordinated to ensure a decisive attack or mount an effective defense. The game of chess mimics life where there are threats that need an immediate response or an opportunity to launch an attack.


Comments

Popular Posts